Sunday, May 16, 2010

Introversionfulness


Sometimes I wonder how some people can be so outgoing. As an introvert I love to spend time without people, reading, thinking and listening to music. To have the constant company of others does not appeal to me as it does most of my friends. This is not to say that I don't enjoy the company of my friends but rather that it simply wears me out. I am exhausted after a weekend of hanging out and subsequently need some time alone in order to get through the next week. I was thinking of this in light of a question I was asked by a friend of mine a couple of weeks ago. He inquired my reason for reading only nonfiction/ mostly theological books. I didn't have a good answer other than the fact that I really enjoy information... this would be why the only channels I ever watch are the discovery, history or national geographic channels. I am a sucker for random tid-bits information. Because of this I am often called an old man by fraternity brothers and even once by a middle aged woman. I am not ashamed in any way shape or form of being like an old man. I would tend to take such a remark as a complement. Anyway, I digress. The point I am trying to make is that I think I have found the reason for my introverted nature. Due to the amount of information that I pump into my mind I must have time to meditate on it or else the information will not be retained. This is why my journal is full of random thoughts, because if I don't sit down and think about my day and the things I heard or read it will all be gone by the next day.This must be why I am so bad at remembering peoples names. I meet someone and I store their name in a temporary file in my mind. If I don't reopen the file at some point that day my mind automatically deletes it rendering my initial introduction to this person useless. I hope this makes sense when you read it. So, my theory is that extroverted people retain information in a completely different fashion than introverted people which is why there is a such a difference in the way they spend their time. I have tried to live the life of an extrovert and think I was semi-successful... but couldn't get out of bed in the morning because of being overwhelmed still by the previous day. This whole cycle is humorous and slightly frustrating. Mad props to all the introverts out there who are in a social fraternity and still trying to maintain your grades... I understand, and I salute you!

No comments: